“For the seller, they’re giving up their home where they have all of these attachments. For the buyer, it’s about painting a picture of their new lives and then carrying them through the whole process to a positive result.” – Sally Foster Jones, SFJ Group.
The song “Let it snow” has the words, “Oh the weather outside is frightful. And the fire is so delightful,” but buying or selling a home during the holidays can be a good idea.
Here are a few things to think, whether you’re a seller or a buyer, during this holiday season.
- Competition – Not as many houses on the market and your house is in demand, which can lead to more money.
- Inventory for houses increase after January which can lower prices.
- Buyer’s are more serious – they need to find a home.
- Your house looks fantastic decorated for the holidays. And don’t forget the warm, comfy, and yummy smells of the holiday season, too.
- Some people may need to buy before the end of the year for tax reasons.
- Buyers may have more time to look during the holidays as some industries slow down during the holidays, thus they can look during the work week.
- Competition is lower – It is good time to buy since the pool of buyer is lower and you may not have to compete for your dream home.
- Sellers are serious, they may need to make a move before the end of the year
- Interest rates are still low, maybe not as low as they were in March 2015.
- Tax advantages, you may be able to deduct interest, property taxes and loan points on this years taxes (check with you accountant or tax adviser).
Whether you are selling or buying during the holidays, be sure to have a good Realtor working for you.
Happy holiday house hunting!
Until next time!